Kidney transplant program
"The doctors, nurses, and social workers at the Hume-Lee Transplant Center were there for me throughout the entire process. I felt like I was part of a family whose only objective was my wellbeing." - Dolores H., transplant recipient
The Hume-Lee Transplant Center has created one of the nation’s most successful adult and pediatric kidney transplant programs. We have performed over 3,200 kidney transplants since 1962 and currently perform an average of 150 kidney transplants a year, based on organ availability.
Kidney transplantation is not a cure for end-stage renal disease, but is a proven successful alternative treatment choice for your disease. Other options include hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis.
Innovative therapies, cutting-edge research, and decades of dedication to providing the best outcomes for our patients allow Hume-Lee to offer the following advanced treatments:
- Deceased donor kidney transplant and Living donor kidney transplant (living related, living unrelated and non-directed)
- Living donor exchanges in the form of pairs or chains
- Incompatible kidney transplants for donor-recipient pairs who are ABO (blood type) incompatible
- Desensitization techniques for patients who have antibodies that would increase chance of organ rejection
- Simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplants, heart-kidney transplants and liver-kidney transplants
- Laparoscopic donor nephrectomy using our state-of-the-art robotic surgical system, leading to reduced recovery times for our living donors
- Transplants for carefully selected medically complex patients, such as those suffering from severe cardiovascular disease, obesity, diabetes, peripheral vascular disease and a previous history of cancers